It was a somber week of events that eventually lead to the Senate confirming Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination on Saturday. His position that a ban on assault weapons as unconstitutional is an obvious declaration of the NRA dollars that supported him.
But we move onward – here are upcoming events in the weeks ahead:
- Oct 17th (Wednesday) – MA voter registration deadline for the November election.
- Oct 23rd (Tuesday) – Forum on Violence Prevention: Guns, Public Health, and Health Care – B.U. School of Medicine.
- Oct 24 (Wednesday) – Victims of Violence Stonewalk from Boston Peace Garden to Boston College.
- Oct 30th (Tuesday) – Volunteer to phonebank with SHV to Get Out the Vote!
- Nov 1st (Thursday) – SHV and Change the Ref billboard unveiling at 11am in Boston. More details below.
- Nov 1st (Thursday) – B.U. School of Public Health’s awards SHV with Beyond Health Award at annual gala.
- Nov 6th (Tuesday) – Election Day! Voter registration deadlines by state here.
SHV and Change the Ref Billboard Unveiling:
When: November 1, 2018 at 11am EST
Where: Corner of Boylston and Dalton Street; with views of Dalton Street Parking Garage at 50 Dalton St. Boston.
Who: MA Speaker of the House Bob DeLeo, Manuel Oliver of Change the Ref, John Rosenthal of Stop Handgun Violence, and Lt. Governor Karyn Polito.
What: Press conference and billboard unveiling.
Massachusetts & New England:
Stop Handgun Violence is honored and awarded at this year’s Boston University School of Public Health “For the Future Public Health” Gala.
Attorney General Maura Healey’s Office in partnership with Sandy Hook Promise awarded $1 million to expand school-based violence prevention, suicide and mental health training to students across Massachusetts.
Wayland residents petition for more restrictions on firing of guns in their town.
Bishop Douglas Fisher of Western Massachusetts Episcopal diocese shares his interest as a shareholder of American Outdoor Brands to address the public health crisis of gun violence.
Harvard Chan research team and Utah gun-rights advocates partnering in how to prevent suicide by firearm.
Connecticut’s law banning bump stocks went into effect last month.
Exeter, New Hampshire area students want more involvement in school safety.
NPR-Vermont produces a 5-part podcast “JOLTED” about a school shooting that didn’t happen.
Across the Nation:
Pennsylvania legislature passes gun law reform to remove firearms from domestic violence abusers.
New York Governor’s race highlights the gun issue.
New York State Education Department moves to prohibit the use of federal funds for firearms in schools.
Ohio Governor Kasich signs executive orders on gun background checks and tracking.
Seattle police sargent speaks to the success of the Extreme Risk Protective Order for his city.
Corporate gun control viewed as the bigger threat to gun rights extremists.