After Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we now turn to #GivingTuesday. As our most dedicated supporters for gun violence prevention, you’ve taken action, volunteered and donated to our cause before and we thank you. If you are taking part in #GivingTuesday, please put Stop Handgun Violence on your list so that we can continue to do the critical work that needs to be done. And you can double your donation by giving online tomorrow via Sonya’s Facebook Fundraiser! Sonya is our newest staff member, our Community Organizer for SHV. She reminds you that no donation is too small and every little bit truly helps.
- Nov 27 (Tuesday) – Gun Safety Forum by League of Women Voters in Marblehead
- Dec 3 (Monday) – Attorney General Healey at Tufts University on politics and assaults weapon ban.
- Dec 5-14th – Several annual vigils to end gun violence in Massachusetts and across the country.
- Dec 9 (Sunday) – Gun Violence Prevention Awareness discussion at Temple Beth Shalom in Needham
- Dec 12 (Wednesday) – MA Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence vigil First Church UU in Boston
National Headlines on Gun Control:
The cost of gun violence in America
America’s gun violence prevention business is bigger than the gun industry.
Are schools safer after billions spent on school security?
The short attention span of the media and gun violence in the news.
In America, we ban romaine lettuce but you can still buy guns 24/7.
Will you shop with companies who support gun violence prevention?
New survey show kids can’t see the difference between a toy and a real gun.
The results are in and gun safety was a winning issue in the midterm elections.
Massachusetts Gun Violence Prevention and Other States:
In Massachusetts, Boston Public School students stage walkout protesting the rash of city gun violence.
In Maine, anonymous reporting system implemented to prevent another Sandy Hook.
In Maryland, the ‘red flag law’ shows success in 114 firearm removal petitions.
In Illinois, Mercy Hospital shooting rooted in domestic violence.
In Iowa, the blind are given gun permits.
In Colorado, doctors partner with gun shops to prevent suicide by gun violence.
In Alabama, a mall shooting on Thanksgiving, a bystander shot dead by police, and a gunman still on the loose.