Last week the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence released their annual scorecard on state gun laws.
Massachusetts received an A-, the fourth highest grade behind New Jersey, Connecticut and California. We are proud of the work we have done here including:
– Requiring background checks for private sales, online sales, and at gun shows
– Preventing children from accessing firearms
– Working to close loopholes for domestic abusers
– Banning assault rifles and high capacity magazines
– Licensing of firearm owners
These laws work together to reduce gun deaths in the Commonwealth, currently the state with the lowest gun deaths per capita in the nation. However there is still more we can do to keep Massachusetts residents safe.
Email your MA State Representative now and tell them that Massachusetts needs an extreme risk protective order now.
What is an extreme risk protective order? Rep. Decker’s Extreme Risk Protective Order bill, H.3610, provides family members with an opportunity to separate firearms from an individual in crisis. You can learn more about Extreme Risk Protective Orders by reading this factsheet.
Together we can end gun violence.