As America celebrates Independence Day, gun violence doesn’t take a break for a holiday. Gun Violence Archive tracked 375 shootings, including 18 mass shootings, in the U.S. from July 3 to the evening of July 5th. One mass shooting in Texas left 8 injured on July 4th that started as an argument between two men.
New York Governor Cuomo issued an Executive Order declaring Gun Violence as a Disaster Emergency.
In the News:
- Somerville teen shot and injured while walking her dog.
- Connecticut motel owner shot dead over an argument about a swimming pool fee.
- Maine enacts new gun laws, including safe storage.
- In Rhode Island, 3 bills to curb gun violence headed to Governor’s desk, including one on straw purchases.
- A ghost gun was used in a California High School shooting.
- 3 golfers shot dead at a Georgia golf course.
- Hawaii Governor signs 3 gun bills into law, including raising the age on safe storage.
- Gun deaths surge in Iowa ahead of loosened gun restrictions.
- Former VA police officer charged in the Capitol Riot on Jan 6th was told to relinquish all his firearms.
- Federal background check system blocked a record high of 300k gun sales.